(705) 722-0008 info@rentmec.com


How can I reserve a motorhome?

Use our online booking on this website or call us (705) 722-0008. We are always happy to help with any questions you may have!

When is full payment required?

Full payment is due on the day of pick up. Full payment must be paid before departure.

Are the prices in Canadian dollars or US dollars?

All website pricing is in Canadian Dollars unless you make another language choice when browsing rental vehicles. For example, changing the language in the vehicle rental section to US English will also change the rental pricing to US dollars.

Are taxes included in the prices?

Yes. They will be automatically calculated and added when your reservation is completed.

What papers do I require for renting a motorhome?

For all drivers, we require a valid driver’s license (must be valid at least the day after drop-off day). We also require a passport for international guest or an ID card for US guests. In addition, an insurance form must be filled out and completed before departure.

Do I need an international Driver's license?

No. An international Driver’s license will ensure ease of use in Canada and the United States. So its recommended for translation purposes.

What type of gas mileage can I expect with my RV?

As numerous conditions can affect gas mileage (driving habits, speed, hills, wind, etc.), fuel consumption will vary due to the conditions. As a suggested guide line, you could budget about 25 liters/100 kilometres.

What is the minimum rental age?

You must be at least 26 years old to rent a motorhome and hold a valid driver’s license issued by your own country.

Can I travel into the USA with my RV?

Yes. You will be charged $10 for each night you spend in the USA. If you are not sure how many nights you will spend in the US or you are not sure if you will travel at all in the US, we give you the option to call us on our toll free number at 1-887-722-0638 to advise the number of nights you will spend in the US. We will process the fee on your credit card. Be aware there is no coverage if you choose to travel in the US without prior authorization.

*Please also not that US Agriculture may not allow fresh fruit, vegetables or meats across the border. If you are planning on crossing the border we suggest you do your grocery shopping there.

Can I leave my suitcase at the pick-up location?

Yes, you are welcome to unpack your suitcase in your motorhome and leave it at Motorhomes Escapes Canada. We are happy to store your suitcase until you return. Free of charge.

How many people can travel in each motor home?

This depends on the motorhome type. Canada transport regulations state that each person travelling must be wearing a seatbelt. The number of people travelling is the number of people that need a seatbelt.

Are there radios and CD players in each motorhome?

There is a dash touch screen radio and CD player in every motorhome. Select motorhomes even have the option of an MP3 outlet.

Are TV/DVD players available in every motorhome?

We do offer at least 1 TV and DVD Player in every motorhome.

What happens if I break down while travelling in the motorhome?

Motorhomes Escapes Canada offers Coach-Net which provides you with 24 hour toll-free emergency assistance in the event of a breakdown or accident. One of their technicians will be available to provide you with help or advice.

Are pets allowed?

Yes, we do allow pets. Motorhomes Escapes must have notice at the time of booking of any pets that are staying in the vehicle. There is a maximum of 2 pets per rental unit. Pets are subject to a $100 cleaning fee for allergy and cleanliness purposes.

Is there smoking allowed in the vehicle?

All Motorhomes Escapes’ vehicles are smoke free. If smoke is detected in the unit, an additional $500 deodorizing charge may apply.

What is the maximum number of people you can accommodate for in a RV?

Our largest motorhome is design to accommodate 7-8 people comfortably. This is determined by the number of sleeping arrangements, not seatbelts for each person. That being said, our largest motorhome allows up to 7 seatbelts.

Can I take the RV on a ferry in Canada?

Yes. You must comply with all regulations for the ferry you are travelling on before boarding.

Are there any extra charges if we want to travel to Yukon/ Whitehorse?

It’s a surcharge of $500 for rentals starting from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal or Halifax with permission to travel on;

  • Alaska Highway north of Fort St. John, British Columbia
  • Cassiar Highway (#37) north of Kitwanga, British Columbia
  • Highway #35 north of peace river, Alberta
  • Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut, Newfoundland
  • Quebec & Labrador north and East of Sept-Iles

Without permission to travel to these areas, a customer can receive a penalty of $900 and the insurance coverage will be void.

Are there any extra charges if we want to travel to Newfoundland?

Yes. The Northern surcharge is $500 if you’re travelling to Newfoundland, Labrador, north and east of Sept-Iles and Quebec. If northern travel is not pre-authorized, there will be no coverage if you have an accident in the above areas.

Is there an additional driver charge?

Additional are possible at a cost of $5/night.

What are the charges for additional kilometres?

Additional kilometres over your paid package are charged at $0.38 per kilometre.

Can I pre-purchase kilometres for my trip at a better rate?

At any time prior to pick up, you can adjust your kilometre requirements. We offer packages of 100 kilometres for a reduced rate from overages following a trip. See our quote system or reach out and we would be happy to explain our mileage fees. 

Do not forget, we include 100 free kilometres per day of your trip! 

Can I take a motorhome to a festival?

There is a surcharge of $100 for all RV vacations with the permission to travel to multi-day festivals. Customers who travel to any festival without permission will be subject to a $500 penalty and will void all insurance coverage. Burning Man is prohibited.

Are the motorhomes equipped with an awning?

Each unit is equipped with an electric awning. For a fee of $25, the awning can be activated for renters use. Awning use will also be subject to an addition on your security deposit.

Are the motorhomes equipped with a generator?

Every unit on our fleet is equipped with a generator and for the customer use for a fee of $3.50 an hour (Maximum charge $150 per trip).

What kind of motorhomes do you rent?

Our website lists all of the types and sizes of vehicles we rent. All of our vehicles are located on the front page and images can be found under the “Photos” tab.

What are your office hours?

May 1 through September 30
9:00AM to 6:00PM – Monday through Saturday
11:00AM to 5:00PM – Sunday

October 1 through April 30
9:00AM to 5:00PM – Monday through Saturday
Pick Up – 12:00PM to 4:00PM Monday through Saturday
Drop Off – 9:00AM to 11:00AM Monday through Saturday
Sunday Pick Up and Drop Off will be subject to a $300 fee each.
Late charges for drop offs after 11:00AM are set at $80/hour.

How do I pay for a Rental?

Deposits/security deposits must be made with a major credit card. Any add-ons or extras can be paid with a major credit card, debit or cash.

When can I pick up or drop off a motor home?

Pick Up – 12:00PM to 4:00PM Monday through Saturday

Drop Off – 9:00AM to 11:00AM Monday through Saturday

Sunday Pick Up and Drop Off will be subject to a $300 fee each.

What if I'm late in returning the motorhome?

Late charges for drop offs after 11:00AM are set at $80/hour.

Can I make a change in my reservation?

We are happy to make some changes to your current reservation; however the change may require a rate adjustment based on current rates in effect at time of change. Changes are subject to current availability. No changes will be permitted to a reservation once the cancellation deadline has passed.

What if I have to cancel my reservation?
  • Over 49 days prior to departure – $200.00
  • 48 – 21 days prior to departure – $500.00
  • 20 – 08 days prior to departure – $750.00
  • 7 days – departure day and no shows – 100% of the total charges.
Does the motorhome come equipped with pots and pans?

At the customers request, we can provide the following comfort kits and subject to availability at time of pick up:

Dinner Kit: $45/rental
Includes: 6 Bowls, Plates, Mugs, Glass’, Knives, Forks, Spoons and Steak Knives , Dish Cloths, Large Serving Tray, Large Serving Bowl

Kitchen Kit: $70/rental
Includes: Large Pot, Small Pot, Frying Pan, Wooden Spoons, Oven Mitts, Tongs, Mixing Bowl, Measuring Cups/Spoons, Carving Knife, Vegetable Peeler, Can Opener, Cork Screw, Spatula, Slotted Spoon, Colander, Potato Masher

Bedding Kit: $55/rental
Includes: Fitted Sheet, Bed Sheet, 2 Extra Pillows, Pillow Cases, Comforter, 2 Bath Towels, 2 Wash Cloths, 2 Hand Towels

Each unit will come with a set of standard equipment including:
2 Rolls of RV Toilet Paper, RV Toilet Chemicals, Fresh Water Hose, Sewer Hose, Flash Light, First Aid Kit, Broom & Dustpan, Rubber Gloves

Are there facilities close to the rental centre where we can purchase propane and dispose of holding tanks contents?

The staff at Motorhome Escapes will be glad to direct you to the closest fueling facilities and waste treatment centre.

Can I park my vehicle at your rental centre while I travel?

You are welcome to leave your personal vehicle at our location while on your vacation. Keys must be left with Motorhome Escapes Canada in case of an emergency. Keys will be locked for safe keeping. Motorhome Escapes Canada is not responsible for theft, damage or any other occurrence.

Can I tow my vehicle or boat behind the motorhome?

Sorry, absolutely no towing of any kind is allowed on Motorhome Escapes Canada motorhomes. Hitches are exclusively for use of bike racks and other similar items.

Are there bike racks?

Yes. We do have them available to rent for the price of $50.

Do you have baby car seats and cribs available?

No. please plan to bring your own car seats and/or cribs.

Is the customer responsible for any maintenance of the motorhome?

If an oil change is necessary during a long trip, guests are expected to have this service performed at the appropriate mileage. Cost for this oil change will be refunded upon presentation of receipts.

Full responsibility for tires and undercarriage are assumed by guests. Guests are also expected to monitor oil, tire pressure and coolant levels at each refuelling.

In the unlikely event of a breakdown and repair lasting more than 48 hours, Motorhome Escapes is limited to the responsibility of daily gross rate, or portion thereof.

Who do I contact if I've lost a personal item(s) during a Motorhomes Escapes rental?

Motorhomes Escapes will make a reasonable effort to contact guests after departure if they have left any belongings on the premises or in the vehicle. We will ship items back at owner’s expense. If we are unable to reach the guest(s), the items will be donated to charity or discarded.

Do I need to clean my vehicle before returning it?

Your motorhome must be returned in a clean condition. Guests should clean out anything that they have brought into the vehicle. Also, the waste and holding tanks have to be drained by the renter prior to the motorhome being returned.

If cleaning isn’t completed, the following fees will be:

• Empty gray and black holding tanks- $80 flat

• Interior cleaning $75.00/Hour

• Exterior cleaning $75.00/Hour

• Awning cleaning $75.00/Hour

• Garbage disposal $50.00 Flat

• Recycling disposal $50.00 Flat

• Clean final dishes $50.00 Flat

Can I rent for less than a week in July or August?

Unfortunately, we stick to our 1 week minimum policy during peak months. The only time we stray away from that policy is if there happens to be a gap in our schedule that may accommodate a weekend rental. We do now allow a 4 day minimum outside of July & August, you must call for rentals shorter than a week.

Can US citizens rent a RV from you?

Yes, our insurance may require specific information in order to approve your rental, which will be confirmed as needed and requested by our insurance company. 

Can you use the water system in the RV during the winter?

No. We have them winterized here for our off season. Customers are responsible for de-winterizing when arriving in a warm location and winterizing before returning. We will be glad to teach you how to winterize and de-winterize at pickup.